Monday, February 16, 2009

Light of the World

Read Isaiah 2:2-4

O send out your light and your truth; let them lead me; let them bring me to your holy hill and to your dwelling.
-Psalm 43:3 (NRSV)


SINCE my childhood, I have kept in mind a Bible verse that has helped me during my life. It is Psalm 119:105: "Your word is a lamp to my feet and a light to my path." I learned the verse in Sunday school.

This verse has stayed with me throughout my life because I could transfer the words to concrete situations. When I was a little girl, we lived in the country. During the dark nights, I depended on the light from a flashlight to find my way home. The flashlight, with its little cone of light, gave me the sense of security I needed as I walked through the dark forest.

Jesus said, "I have come as light into the world, so that everyone who believes in me should not remain in the darkness" (John 12:46). During the years since I was a little girl, I have learned from experience that Jesus is the best light on our way through life.

by Elsa Dagerblom (Stockholm, Sweden)

No comments:

Powered By Blogger