Tuesday, September 23, 2008

no false advertisement

by Lewis J. Aiken (Alaska, USA)

O Lord God, you are God, and your words are true.
-2 Samuel 7:28 (NRSV)

ON-LINE auctions are an excellent way for me to add to my collection of out-of-print books. I read the descriptions carefully and examine the pictures in detail, trying to make sure the item is exactly what it is represented to be. Then, if my bid wins, I wait for the mail to bring my long-awaited purchase. When it arrives, I eagerly tear into the package - sometimes to find that the item has been misrepresented.

Many of us are victims of false advertising, but our greater disappointments are with people who turn out to be different than we first thought. A friend may betray us; the one we marry may have flaws we never suspected; a business partner may take advantage of us. Can people be trusted? Unfortunately, not always.

But there is good news. There is One who never changes, who never disappoints us, and whom we can always trust. Jesus Christ is and always will be exactly what God's word declares him to be. Jesus always loves, always cares, and is always with us wherever we go - regardless of the circumstances we face and the pain life brings.

No comments:

Powered By Blogger