Friday, October 23, 2009

A Lawn to Mow

Read Luke 10:25-37

The teacher of the Law wanted to justify himself, so he asked Jesus, "Who is my neighbor?"
-Luke 10:29 (TEV)


"HEY, can you come over here?" yelled Ruby, leaning against her doorway. I walked across the yard, reaching her quickly. She asked if I knew someone who could mow her lawn. I explained that I was visiting my daughter and didn't know anyone in town. I added that I would let her know if I heard of anyone who cuts grass. She took a deep breath from her oxygen canister and thanked me.

Of course, I was capable of mowing her lawn, so I felt guilty. I made excuses to justify not helping Ruby: I take care of my 81-year-old mother; I help my children and grandchildren; I work at my church; Ruby is not my responsibility. But even to me, my excuses sounded lame. Jesus said, "Love your neighbor as yourself" (Matt. 19:19, NRSV). Ruby needed to see God's love in my love for her.

Pushing the mower to Ruby's small patch of lawn, I cranked the machine to life. Cutting the yard helped Ruby, and my action pleased God.

I realized then that our days are filled with chances to help our neighbors. Practicing kindness, offering genuine smiles, and easing a burden of someone in need says we are trying to live the life of love that God wants us to live.

by Irene Pruett-Wilson (Texas, USA)

No comments:

Powered By Blogger