Friday, July 4, 2008

Talk and listen


After watching the movie Bruce Almighty, I was curious if that was the way God listens to our prayer. In that movie, it was shown that when people are praying, the prayers came to God like the sound of thousands bees. Can God be able to listen to each prayer?.

During a bible study session, I learned that prayer is one of our way to communicate with God. So in order for communication to happen, it has to involve talking and listening. When I talk, God listens. When God talks, I must listen. If I do not listen, then there is no communication. Therefore, no prayer. It is as simple as speaking through phone. I speak at the other end hoping that God will listen at the other end. And when I have finished, God will speak and I have to listen and so forth. But will it always like that?

I remember some times when I pray before retiring to bed at night, I would fell asleep right after uttering the word 'Amen'. I did not give God any chance to speak! I believe that most of us pray to God many times a day. We pray before each meal, before going to bed at night, when waking up in the morning. Some times we attended prayer meetings and we spent time praying. Then again, how many time we listen to God speaking back to us? when we don't listen, we become like a child asking his father for an ice cream but before his father could ask back for detail, the child had gone to the play ground. The father would not get the ice cream for him because the father did not know what ice cream's flavor he was asking for. Besides, the father knew that his child had false teeth so ice cream is not good for him. But the child did not knew that for he did not spent time listening to his father and blamed his father for not loving him.

How to 'listen' to God? I have to keep His words in my mind and write His laws in my heart. His words and laws will speak to me about His wills for me. His words and laws will be a light to my feet so that I won't stumble. His words will be a light to my eyes so that I will see what I have done wrong. So that I won't judge other for their wrongdoing because I see my wrongdoings first. So that I will be able to ask forgiveness from God for all my wrongdoings. When my heart is pure, only then he will answer my prayer...

No comments:

Powered By Blogger