Wednesday, August 20, 2008

a perfect direction


by Tori Tremaine Walker (Kentucky, U.S.A.)

The psalmist prayed, "Direct my footsteps according to your word; let no sin rule over me."
-Psalm 119:133 (NIV)

AFTER visiting a friend, I began my journey home, following his directions through miles of beautiful farmland. Time lagged as I drove on and on past unmarked roads winding their way through fields of corn. I began to have doubts. Could he have made a mistake in the directions? Maybe he left out something or forgot an important turn. I almost turned to go a different way that I thought must be correct. But then common sense took over, and I realized I could trust his directions. He had lived in the area all his life; certainly the route he outlined would lead me safely home. Sure enough, before long I reached the highway and headed home. His directions were perfect!

God also offers us direction for life. But often we doubt God's guidance or think maybe we have a better way. Sometimes we neglect to seek God's direction at all.

The guidance we need comes through the Bible, through the Holy Spirit speaking to our hearts, through prayer, through situations we experience, and through people God brings into our lives. God will give us direction if we ask, and we can be certain that God's guidance is always trustworthy.

No comments:

Powered By Blogger