Monday, August 10, 2009

Our Father

Read Psalm 19:1-6

[Jesus] said unto [his disciples], "When ye pray, say, Our Father ..."
-Luke 11:2 (KJV)


AS a child of about five, I looked up in awe of the bright stars flickering against winter's dark sky. My warm breath made momentary shallow clouds above me as I shivered in January's chill. Mom and my two older sisters were just steps ahead of my dad and me as we walked to a covered-dish supper at church. My dad held my hand snug in one hand while balancing a dish of steaming scalloped potatoes in the other.

Darkness always frightened me except when my dad was near; I felt safe and peaceful when he was nearby. He had a strong trust in God's faithfulness and love, and he lived confidently in that assurance. Dad helped me grow in the shelter of God's love and set my feet on a path that led me to find my own way to my heavenly Father.

When Jesus invites us to call God Father, wonderful images of my dad remind me of the tender love God has for us. God welcomes us to take his hand and walk in the shelter of divine presence. Even the greatest example of human love can't compare to the depth of love God has for each of us. The Creator of the magnificent stars that decorate the night sky graciously gives each of us the privilege of calling him Father!

by Dori Magee (New York, USA)

No comments:

Powered By Blogger