Monday, June 15, 2009

Answering God's Call

Read 1 Samuel 10:17-24

[The people] inquired again of the Lord, "Did the man come here?" and the Lord said, "See, he has hidden himself among the baggage."
-1 Samuel 10:22 (NRSV)


THE date of our church's annual meeting was drawing near. My wife and I were praying to discern God's will because I had received an invitation to join the governing board of our church. I could think of many good reasons to decline the invitation. However, I wasn't sure.

Just before departing for the meeting, I read that day's meditation in El Aposento Alto (the Spanish edition of The Upper Room). It cited the scripture above, which told about Saul trying to hide from God's call. I knew I had been trying to hide "among the baggage," but I felt God was clearly asking more of me. I was left with no doubt in my mind: I should take on the challenge. I was elected to serve the church in a position of great responsibility.

We all have gifts and talents to offer. If we place them at God's disposal, in God's time and plan, the Holy Spirit will give us power to serve God and God's people.

by Antonio Mario Schar (Buenos Aires, Argentina)

No comments:

Powered By Blogger