Thursday, June 11, 2009

Running the Race


Read Philippians 3:10-16

Those who wait for the Lord shall renew their strength, they shall mount up with wings like eagles, they shall run and not be weary, they shall walk and not faint.
-Isaiah 40:31 (NRSV)


MY brother, Art, often took part in Colorado's annual Pike's Peak run, which is 14 miles. One year Art's 13-year-old daughter, Ruth, decided to enter. But about a quarter-mile into the race, Ruth called, "Daddy, I'm dropping out. I can't do it." "Can you run if I run with you?" Art asked.

"Well, I can try," came Ruth's answer. So as the other runners raced up the mountain, Art and Ruth plodded along. At miles 5, 10, 12 and 13 they were still going. When they finally crossed the finish line, Ruth fell to the ground, exhausted but elated, and said, "Daddy, I think this is the closest I've ever felt to you."

Art died after a two-year battle with injuries sustained in a major fall. But I know that he did not run that last race alone. God ran with him as he struggled "up the hill," and I know that Art was truly close to our heavenly Father at the finish line.

At times when we are struggling with life and think we can't go on, we discover that God is "running the race" with us. God can give us the strength to do what we had believed was impossible.

by Walter H. Everett (Pennsylvania, USA)

No comments:

Powered By Blogger