Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Lean on God

Read 1 Kings 19:1-18

[Elijah] prayed that he might die. "I have had enough, Lord," he said. "Take my life."
-1 Kings 19:4 (NIV)


I had lost my job. After a six-month search, I found work 2500 miles away. My wife and children stayed behind until we knew this new job would work out. My first three months alone were a nightmare. The new work was challenging, and I missed my family. I felt alone and defeated, and I cried in despair.

In times like this, I can really identify with Elijah. After he had been empowered by God to resurrect a dead child, to stop the rain, and to bring fire down from heaven, Jezebel vowed to kill him. The fear and pressure became too much for Elijah. When I see the great prophet in despair and know the end of his story, I thank God because this means there is hope for me. When pressures such as money problems, family illness, stress at work, or internal struggles make us feel defeated, we can remember Elijah and how God tenderly cared for him.

We can do this by reading the Bible daily to become encouraged and better tuned to God's voice. When we express our pain in prayer and seek Christian companionship, God helps us through our dark valleys. Elijah recovered and returned to serve God. When we feel defeated, we too can lean on God and find hope.

by Tom Smith (Utah, USA)

No comments:

Powered By Blogger