Monday, November 23, 2009

Checking the Fence

Read Psalm 119:97-106

All scripture is inspired by God and is useful for teaching the truth, rebuking error, correcting faults, and giving instruction for right living.
-2 Timothy 3:16 (TEV)


MANY mornings on my way to work, I see two ranchers carefully checking their fence that borders a busy road. They make sure the posts are secure and the wire is intact to keep their cattle safe from the dangers of the road and from wandering onto property that doesn't belong to the ranchers. Their diligence is necessary, since many times I see cattle leaning over the wire trying to snatch a mouthful of grass or to satisfy their curiosity. Without that fence, the cattle would wander.

In many ways, God's word is like that fence. The Bible tells me how to set safe boundaries in my life to keep me from the dangers of sinful actions and bad decisions. Whatever the day brings, God's word offers me the answers I need for living that day. But, like the ranchers, I need to "check my fence" daily. Some days I don't want to hear from God's word because I'm "leaning on the wire" trying to go my own way. But daily Bible reading keeps my spiritual fence in good repair and helps me remain in God's safe pasture.

by Laurinda Wallace (Arizona, USA)

No comments:

Powered By Blogger