Thursday, November 19, 2009

Painting God

Read 1 Corinthians 2:6-16

Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding.
-Proverbs 3:5 (NIV)


MY grandmother is a talented artist. She has twelve grandchildren, and we all had our turn in her studio to see if we inherited her gift. I soon realized that my talents lie elsewhere. As hard as I tried, I could never make my painting look real, as Grandma's did. My attempts at art looked more like cartoons. She told me that I should pay attention to what I was seeing and draw that, not what I thought my subject should look like. Although I never caught on to painting, Grandma did teach me a lesson about God.

I spent many years "painting" God as I thought God should be. Because I could not understand some things about God, I made up my own image. Like my paintings, the end result was pretty pathetic. And when times got hard for me, my hope crumbled. But my grandmother's advice has helped me in my Christian walk. It has helped me let go of what I think God should look like and look to the Bible to see what God is really like.

by Sarah Negroni (Louisiana, USA)

No comments:

Powered By Blogger