Wednesday, November 18, 2009

God will strengthen us

Read Nehemiah 2:17-20 and 6:9, 15-16

The gracious hand of my God [was] upon me.
-Nehemiah 2:18 (NIV)


I kept fretting over the persistent pain in my hands. Housework, weeding the garden, and even helping my children dress caused my hands to scream in protest. When I tried to spend time with God, I found myself thinking about the pain instead.

At the time, I was reading the book of Nehemiah. This man who loved God was striving to rebuild the wall around God's city, Jerusalem. Nehemiah rallied hundreds to help. Throughout the massive project, Nehemiah prayed and then depended on God for success. Amazingly, in just 52 days the new wall was completed. Everyone knew it was a work of God.

During the rebuilding process, enemies of Israel threatened and taunted God's people, trying to intimidate the workers. These enemies cast doubt by shouting, "Their hands will get too weak for the work, and it will not be completed." Nehemiah wasn't distracted by their attempts at intimidation. Instead he prayed, "Now strengthen my hands" (Neh. 6:9).

As I read Nehemiah's prayer, I realized my focus was badly misplaced. Pain had distracted me from praying, but Nehemiah's life reminded me to pray despite obstacles. I adjusted my focus. Depending on God, I chose to watch for God's power in my life.

by Linda Walstrom (Illinois, USA)

No comments:

Powered By Blogger