Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Desiring God's Peace

Read Genesis 50:15-26

When you are offering your gift at the altar, if you remember that your brother or sister has something against you, leave your gift there before the altar and go; first be reconciled to your brother or sister, and then come and offer your gift.
-Matthew 5:2324 (NRSV)


A family member and I were attempting to work out a peaceful solution to a long-standing conflict between us. As we talked, I asked her to forgive me. She refused, saying she wouldn't forgive me, but perhaps we could move on and just not mention it again. Deep in my heart I knew that she was going to continue to let what had happened years earlier eat at her, and it saddened me.

Not sure what to do next, I asked the Lord for guidance. Speaking to me in my heart, God said, "Pray that she will desire my peace."

Those words from God have come to mind many times since then. Everybody has conflicts in this life, but not everybody becomes bitter. I look to many examples in my own life of kind and loving people who like Joseph forgive those who have wronged them. Like Joseph, they have endured many hardships but have not let the circumstances of their lives destroy them. Instead, they can treasure the peace that comes from forgiving others.

by Karen Nadeau (Texas, USA)

No comments:

Powered By Blogger