Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Forgive Us As We Forgive

Read Romans 2:1-16

If you do not forgive others, neither will your Father forgive your trespasses.
-Matthew 6:15 (NRSV)


I had been wronged by a colleague at work. Because of the lies she had told my boss about me, I was overlooked for a promotion I had been looking forward to and had worked very hard to gain.

I became resentful at being passed over. I took out my anger on other colleagues and eventually gained a reputation for being difficult. My attitude was destroying me. Then one day a Christian colleague took me aside. He pointed out to me how much God had forgiven me and suggested that I forgive her. Why should I forgive? I asked myself. I am the one who was hurt. As I considered his advice, the words of the Lord's Prayer rang true for me in a new way. "Forgive us ... as we forgive our debtors."

Slowly and painfully, I started trying to forgive. It took many months. I never did get a promotion and I worked in a job below my capabilities, but I was finally able to have compassion on the wrongdoer. And I was a better example to my co-workers.

by Carol Purves (Cumbria, England)

No comments:

Powered By Blogger