Thursday, April 30, 2009

From a Dummy?

Read Isaiah 55:1-5

The Lord says: "Stand at the crossroads and look; ask for the ancient paths, ask where the good way is, and walk in it, and you will find rest for your souls."
-Jeremiah 6:16 (NIV)


IN a large department store, I could not figure out where an item was located. I saw the back of what looked like a store employee standing next to a counter. I walked up from behind and said, "Excuse me," only to discover that I was speaking to a mannequin. I felt foolish and hoped that no one noticed. The designer had done a great job of making the mannequin look realistic, but it could never have helped me.

How many of us in the world seek guidance from that which is not real? We may believe that true happiness comes from having certain possessions or from wealth or beauty. We may follow false religious leaders. We may harm our bodies with drugs or alcohol. All along, the real God stands near calling to us and signaling the true way.

We don't have to rely on "dummies" because we have the living God who can supply what we lack. God asks us to read the Bible, to study it, and even to challenge what it says, confident that it will prove itself true in all circumstances.

by Bob La Forge (New Jersey, USA)

No comments:

Powered By Blogger