Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Active Listening

Read 1 Samuel 3:1-10

The Lord came and stood there, calling as at the other times, "Samuel! Samuel!" Then Samuel said, "Speak, for your servant is listening."
-1 Samuel 3:10 (NIV)


AFTER videotaping a parade in our town, I received a phone call from a good friend who had marched in the parade. He was a little annoyed that I hadn't acknowledged him. I explained that I must not have recognized him because he was in costume. He was more surprised that I hadn't heard him shouting my name when he went right by me. Confused, I played the videotape. To my surprise, I could hear him on the videotape, shouting my name loudly, six times. How could I have missed it?

Thinking back, I realized that I had been so distracted by the colorful lights, the music, and the aromas of food that I had paid no attention to his voice. I began to wonder how many times God speaks to us and we don't hear. We can become so focused on ourselves and distracted by our daily chores that we don't stop to listen for God's guidance.

God may choose many ways to speak to us - for example, through the words of scripture, through sermons, books we read, and the words of Christian friends. We can take the time to listen and, like Samuel, we can learn to recognize God's voice when we hear it. Now I pray for guidance and actively listen for God's answer.

by Jerry Bragalone (Pennsylvania, USA)

No comments:

Powered By Blogger