Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Missing a Treat



Read Proverbs 9:1-12

Come, all you who are thirsty ... come, buy and eat.
-Isaiah 55:1 (NIV)


THE phone rang as I was clearing up after the evening meal. It was my friend Syl. "Marion, I am sitting here waiting for you. Have you forgotten something?"

Oh no! Syl had invited my husband and me to eat with her, and when Syl makes a meal it's a feast. We had missed a treat, not because we didn't want her meal but because we had been too busy to remember it. "We forgot it was Tuesday, and we've already eaten. I'm so sorry!" Our friend was disappointed too, but she ran out and invited two friends who lived near her to come and eat the lovely meal she had prepared for us.

In a much more significant way, God has graciously prepared a feast for us. Those of us reading these meditations each day have already come to taste the blessings offered at God's table. But sometimes I get so busy that I forget - and miss a treat. If my friend invites us again, we will be sure to go. And I don't intend to get so full of life's busyness that I miss my daily feast with God.

by Marion Turnbull (Manchester, England)

No comments:

Powered By Blogger