Friday, March 27, 2009

You Really Care!

Read Galatians 6:1-10

Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up.
-Galatians 6:9 (NIV)


I have been volunteering with inner-city, at-risk teenagers for the last five years. When I first began, I felt that this was what God wanted me to do, and I did it with enthusiasm. But after the third or fourth week, I felt as though I was spinning my wheels. These kids were unruly, undisciplined, and out of control. I found myself unsure if this was where I needed to be. But with prayer and soul-searching, I kept showing up.

Over the years, I have developed a special relationship with each one of these precious gifts from God. As I showed the teens that I love them and care for them, more and more young people began to come to our center.

This year, the class has exploded in size. Recently as we were getting the kids lined up to get on the bus for home, there was an incident outside. I asked a couple of my kids to come out and help me. After we handled the situation, one of them said to me, "We love you." I thought he was kidding.

"Are you messing with me?" I asked.

"No," the other said. "We love you; you really care about us."

That night in bed, I thanked God with tears in my eyes.

by David D. Sharp (Texas, USA)

No comments:

Powered By Blogger