Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Expecting the Best

Read Ephesians 3:14-21

Now unto [God] that is able to do exceeding abundantly above all that we ask or think, according to the power that worketh in us, unto him be glory.
-Ephesians 3:20-21 (KJV)


A few years back, I injured the rotator cuff in my shoulder. Suffering great pain, I decided to see an orthopedic surgeon. He gave me a shot of steroids and prescribed physical therapy. Frankly, I was not expecting much relief. But to my surprise, within a few weeks the pain was virtually gone.

This led me to think about my spiritual life. Sometimes I pray, then pray again; but whether I pray about finances, relationships, or peace of mind, I do not really expect the Lord to answer. So I decided to start praying expectantly. I did not imagine that God would say "yes" to all of my prayers, but I prayed with a new attitude and new hope regarding God's response to my petitions. And I have not been disappointed.

by Edward Sarp (Pennsylvania, USA)




Dear God, however you answer our prayers, let us be at peace with your response, knowing that you have our best interests in mind. As Jesus taught us, we pray, "Our Father which art in heaven, Hallowed be thy name. Thy kingdom come. Thy will be done, as in heaven, so in earth. Give us day by day our daily bread. And forgive us our sins; for we also forgive every one that is indebted to us. And lead us not into temptation; but deliver us from evil."* Amen.

No comments:

Powered By Blogger