Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Hidden Fruit

Read Psalm 119:7-20

All scripture is inspired by God and is useful for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness, so that everyone who belongs to God may be proficient, equipped for every good work.
-2 Timothy 3:16-17 (NRSV)


ONE of my favorite summer activities is picking wild raspberries. I love to stand in one spot and pick as many raspberries as I can find before moving on to the next patch. Often when I think I have exhausted the supply of berries before me, I prepare to move on, only to spy the ripest, biggest, most luscious berry yet. How did I miss this one? I wonder. The answer is simple: Changing my stance and my line of sight lets me see what had been there all along, waiting for me to claim it.

In a way, the same is true with God's word. At times I become complacent, even bored, with a passage of scripture, thinking I have exhausted its meaning and relevance to my life. When time and experience have changed my outlook on life, however, I find myself re-reading the passage and thinking, Wow, how did I miss that? Surprised I didn't see some message sooner, but grateful to have the newfound insight, I am enriched. The wisdom is fresh and new every morning. (See Lam. 3:23). Thanks be to God!

by Kristine Liknes (Ohio, USA)

No comments:

Powered By Blogger