Thursday, July 9, 2009

Spiritual Balance

Read Isaiah 40:28-31

Because so many people were coming and going that [the apostles] did not even have a chance to eat, [Jesus] said to them, "Come with me by yourselves to a quiet place and get some rest."
-Mark 6:31 (NIV)


IN retirement I found myself becoming a full-time volunteer. While volunteering is personally rewarding, at times it can also lead to stress and frustration. One day a friend shared her concern that I was on overload. This led me to stop and think: Why am I volunteering? Is it because I can't say "no?" Or is it something deeper inside, such as the need to be needed and noticed? Have I been serving just to receive the affirmation of others?

I've since learned to pull back some and to spend more time in prayer and reflection. In neglecting my inner being, I was becoming spiritually unbalanced. In serving and doing for others, I wasn't waiting on the Lord for strength and direction. I'd forgotten what Jesus said: "Apart from me you can do nothing" (John 15:5).

No one was more pressed into doing for others than Jesus. The crowds gave him no relief. So it was necessary -- even for Jesus -- to draw apart and pray for strength and wisdom in serving others. Should we seek anything less?

by Donald Joiner (North Carolina, USA)

No comments:

Powered By Blogger